Thursday, November 1, 2012

Pull the Lever

I just couldn't resist.  Via
Before we get down to the nitty-gritty, please know that this post reflects how I decide who to vote for. If this system works for you, great!  If not, I hope you find something that works well for you.  Please don't leave ugly comments in the comment section because my views don't match up with yours.  I mean, my Grandma reads this blog, y'all.  Keep it nice and keep it clean.  If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Voting is such a huge responsibility and our upcoming election is the most important in our nation's history.  Often, it's easy for the average American to become bogged down in a lot of political talk.  Everybody is accused of lying and it leaves citizens wondering who they can believe.  It's frustrating, especially if you are on the fence about how to vote.

Personally, I turn to scripture to decide which lever I pull.  My faith is my number one priority and though I certainly believe in the separation of Church & State, I prefer for my elected officials to share the same or similar faith.  It makes me comfortable to know that my leaders are like-minded with some or most of my convictions.

Here are the issues I consider and the scriptures that I reflect on:


  • Abortion.  I'm pro-life except in cases of rape, incestuous rape, or ectopic pregnancy.  And honestly, after reading The Atonement Child, I struggle with the idea of aborting an innocent life because of the sin of a father...but that's a blog post for another day.  Proverbs 6:17 is clear that God loathes the hands that murder the innocent.  I choose to honor His word and protect the innocent by voting for the candidate who is most pro-life.
  • Debt.  After taking Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University, it became clear to me that God hates debt.  In fact, He hates debt so much, he sacrificed his only Son to pay the sinful debts the human race owed.  I believe that if Christian families focused on getting out of and staying out of debt, the makeup of our nation would drastically change.  I feel a personal conviction to vote for the candidate that is most likely to manage our national budget with a debt-reduction plan in mind.  Proverbs 22:7 is clear:  "The poor are always ruled over by the rich, so don't borrow and put yourself under their power."
  • Work.  Please let me preface this by saying that I am very well aware that some citizens in the United States are unable to work due to physical or intellectual disabilities.  It's kind of my job.  Because it is my job, I know that the percentage of people living in the United States that are actually unable to work because of a physical or intellectual disability is low.  Most citizens are physically and intellectually capable of working a full-time or part-time job.  2nd Thessalonians 3:10 is crystal clear. 
Now, onto the issue of social justice, which is something that I've struggled with in the past.  Because I readily believe in the separation of Church & State, I believe that it is the responsibility of the Church to care for the widows and orphans.  Jesus clearly charges his followers to care for "the least of these."  He even goes so far to say that when you care for the poor or downtrodden, you are directly caring for Him.  As Christians, we are called to care for and love our neighbors:  our poor neighbors, our loud neighbors, our Muslim neighbors, our Jewish neighbors, our gay neighbors, our single-parent neighbors...the list is practically infinite.  I believe that the Church should fulfill its Christ-given charge to care and love those who so desperately need it.  This sense of social responsibility among Christians will begin at the grassroots.  

When I apply what is listed above to the men & women listed on my ballot, typically my choice is quite evident.  Well before I pull back the curtain and pull the lever {or nowadays, tap my finger on the touchscreen} I review a candidate and his/her views on the issues listed above.  I do not take the privilege of voting lightly--it is something I prayerfully consider for weeks or even months in advance.  

  
On a side note, I do dally in political work and it is mostly political work of a conservative nature.  The political process is like an incredibly competitive game and I happen to be a decent player.  I grew up surrounded by players in the Big League {so to speak}.  I've had many friends {and some non-friends} question whether or not I can attempt to lead a Christlike life while dallying in politics.  My answer?  I'm using my God-given talents and using the strengths I've been given to assist candidates that fit the best to the stipulations I have listed above.  


One last side note:  if you feel like your vote "doesn't count" then you need to consider your forefathers and foremothers who fought desperately so that you can have the privilege.  

 

7 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work young lady!
    I bet your parents are proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing is stylistically similar to a 6th grade social studies student as is your thought process. To get the children's NIV Bible so you can better understand the religion you pay lip service to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry that you feel my writing style is too simple for you. Perhaps you should pursue something more academic in nature? Might I suggest Atlas Shrugged...or would the Communist Manifesto be more appropriate? Like I stated in my stylistically 6th grade blog, if you don't have something nice to say, please don't say it all! With that being said, happy Saturday!

      Delete
  3. That is rather interesting. You seem to be attempting to say that she isn't as intelligent as you and yet your "post" shows that not to be the case at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well done. If all people who call themselves Christians voted on the principles of the bible this country would not be in the shape it is now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blog hasn't been updated in a month ? What a joke. If you're going to start a blog at least have the dedication to keep it updated geesh !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're truly that concerned about reading my blog, you should have followed me over to WordPress like this post {http://www.cjcallicutt.blogspot.com/2012/12/ps-were-moving.html} suggested. Bless your heart...it appears the jokes on you. Happy Holidays!

      Delete

We love feedback! Leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...