Sunday, November 11, 2012

Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day: A Review


Follow me on Instagram!

*This is not a sponsored post.  I just really love Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day products and I think you will too.

When you live in a farmhouse that was built in 1934, you just get used to certain things like creaky floors, dusty baseboards, and the occasional bump in the night.  Oh, and did I mention the heifer that gave birth right outside our bedroom window on Thursday night?  Because that happened.  P.S. it was loud.

I adore my little old house for many reasons, most of them revolving around my sweet great-grandparents who built the old place.  I love knowing that the room Mr. C and I share was my Grandma's bedroom when she was a young girl.  I love cooking cornbread in the same oven my Grandmother Shealy cooked cornbread in {and using the same recipe too!}.  I love the rolling hills, the green grass, and yes, even the occasional whiff of cow manure.  That's a lot of love for such a little house, but there is one thing I hate:  cleaning.  

Oh, cleaning day brings about much wailing and gnashing of teeth.  In fact, Mr. C brought in help our first year of marriage because I hated cleaning so much.  The help was lovely, but we're now graduates of Dave Ramsey's FPU program and...well...I'm in charge of cleaning my own home.  Together Mr. C and I devised a system of weekly chores designed to make sure we have the weekends off and that our home stays neat and tidy.  As we continue to dive into this green lifestyle we're exploring, we've really taken a look at the harsh chemicals used in cleaning products.  If we can't pronounce it, we don't want it in our home.

And I've made my own cleaners.  They are really great.  But I wanted something uniquely fresh, green, and feminine.  Cue Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day.

via
With yummy scents like basil, rosemary, bluebell, and lavender, Mrs. Meyer's is revolutionizing the cleaning industry.  With mild trepidation, I ordered a starter kit that included counter spray, all-purpose cleaner, dish detergent, and handsoap.  Starter kits are available here and at Walmart.com.  

My shipment arrived promptly--a starter kit {scented lavender} and a box of lemon verbena scented dryer sheets.  I set to work at once by starting a load of laundry {with my homemade detergent} and then mixing 1/4 of a cup of the all-purpose cleaner with one gallon of hot water.  Weapons in hand, I set out to tackle my bathroom.

via
First of all, let's talk about lavender.  I love it.  I hate eating at Outback Steakhouse, but I love washing my hands in their restrooms because they have Yardley's English Lavender Soap.  The gentle, soothing scent of Mrs. Meyer's All-Purpose Cleaner was a definite winner in my book.  It didn't smell like chemicals--it just smelled fresh and clean.  

Now let's talk about my bathroom.  As I mentioned earlier, my home was built in 1934.  It was the first house in Franklin Springs to have indoor plumbing.  The Depression-era tub was replaced in the early 1960's by one of those big metal monstrosities.  It's hard to clean and it's cold when you first step into the shower.  I had my doubts that anything but straight bleach could clean it, so Mrs. Meyer's All-Purpose Cleaner really shocked my socks off.  It cleaned away soap scum and grime gently.

I then continued using the all-purpose cleaner to scrub the tile walls, my sink, the baseboards, and the floor.  It did a great job of getting everything squeaky clean and the lavender scent lingered nicely once I finished.

The counter spray was just as effective in cleaning my counters, refrigerator, and stovetop.  It cut through grease and erased stains that I {once again} had assumed could only be cleaned with bleach.

via
I discovered that when using the dish detergent, a little goes a long way.  It cut through grease really well and the scent was pleasant as I washed my dishes.  I didn't have to soak anything--the soap was powerful enough to remove those sticky bits that often remain after baking something in the oven.  The detergent was also really gentle on my eczema-riddled hands.

via
The hand soap that was included in the starter kit is conveniently housed in a bottle that includes a handpump.  I could mention how great the scent is, but I fear I'm beginning to sound a bit redundant.  I would like to point out that this handsoap is cheaper than the scents available at Bath & Body Works and you get more soap.  

via

Mr. C begged for dryer sheets that were not lavender scented, so I indulged him by ordering the lemon verbena scent instead.  It's slightly masculine in a musky, outdoorsy kind of way, so he likes it.  I have incredibly sensitive skin, so I was slightly nervous about using a scented dryer sheet, however, I haven't had any problems with this product.  I assume it's because the softening agent is vegetable-derived, but I'm happy to report that our sheets and towels smell wonderful.

via
 As a full-time teacher and part-time housewife, I give Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day products an A+.  The price is slightly higher than a normal cleaner, but it's well worth it.

In other news, Mrs. Meyer's also has a book:  Mrs. Meyer's Clean Home:  No-Nonsense Advice That Will Inspire You To Clean Like the Dickens.  It's on my Christmas list!


Happy Sunday, y'all!  Join us this evening for a wonderful new series:  Sunday Dinner Specials.  

XOXO,

Court


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love feedback! Leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...