Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Inconsistent


I’m literally the most inconsistent blogger on the planet.  After receiving several emails tinged with concern from dear readers, I decided that I needed to update the old girl.  That was two weeks ago…

I don’t apologize for my inconsistencies.  Life is for living, and we’ve been busy making plans, dreaming, hoping, and wishing. 

Josh’s parents {fondly referred to as my MIL and FIL} came to visit last weekend.  Our time together flew by, but we all got along splendidly.  They arrived on Friday just in time to see Mike perform in The Importance of Being Earnest.  I’ve been so far removed from Wilde’s play that I’d forgotten how insanely hilarious it was.  Despite the sold out performance and lack of air circulation at the theater, I was in stitches.  Afterward, we enjoyed pumpkin chocolate-chip bread {recipe here} and Lanie {Mike’s sweet, sweet girlfriend} treated us to some Oreo Truffle Balls. 

Abigail does not understand the importance of being earnest.

Mike's debut as Lane, the butler.

Terrie {MIL}, Lanie {BIL's GF}, Mike {BIL}, and Barry {FIL} 
Baby Abigail and me posing with her sweet mama!


Um, this face.



On Saturday we enjoyed a leisurely breakfast at The Roystonian.  Sounds strange to you out-of-towners, I know, but you haven’t lived until you’ve had Jennifer’s grits.  My mom & dad took a break from their busy schedules to join us and all had fun.  The only person missing was Grayson.

After breakfast, we took Josh’s parents over to my family’s fishpond.  It’s a gorgeous spot…we took several engagement photos there.  It was neat to show them aspects of my family that they hadn’t seen before.  Once the view had been thoroughly enjoyed, I made Chicken Stew and Perfect Cornbread {recipes coming soon}.  The afternoon was spent lounging, reading, and watching football.  It was a perfectly typical Saturday made special by our visitors. 

Our original evening plans consisted of the following:  a visit to Downtown Athens, stop-offs at our favorite vintage store {Agora} and our favorite record store {Wuxtry Records}, topped off by dinner at our favorite eatery, The Last Resort.  Barry & Terrie have heard us gush for years about TLR—especially about the Vidalia Bacon dressing and freshly baked cakes, and we were so hoping to share the experience.  Unfortunately, those boys in silver britches were busy slaughtering FAU, so we supplemented our plans with a visit to Bob’s Smalltown Grille {good, but it’s not The Last Resort}. 

Michael had another performance and Lanie had to get back for a sorority event, so the MIL, FIL, hubs, and I relaxed at home and enjoyed some freshly baked cookies.  The next morning we were so happy to have Barry & Terrie join us at church.  Brian James, Vice President of Development at Emmanuel College delivered an excellent message that Josh and I have reflected on several times this week.  With faith the size of a mustard seed, we can do amazing things. 



In the coming weeks of my most favorite season, I hope to post lots of recipes.  Chicken Stew and Perfect Cornbread {both family recipes} are first on the docket, but I’ve also been experimenting in my kitchen lately.  Regardless, tasty treats will be coming your way soon. 

On a side note, we’re almost finished with our Financial Peace University classes.  Though we’d completed the course independently, we are still in awe of what a difference participating in a small group can make.  If you’ve ever wondered if the FPU classes are worth it, the answer is yes

So what about you?  We’re only a few days away from the first day of Fall.  Do you have a favorite autumnal recipe, plan, or decorating tip?  Sound off in the comment section below!    

1 comment:

  1. The Importance of Being Earnest is my very favorite play, and quite possibly my favorite piece of literature. I have a bracelet that I wear almost every day that says "I never travel without my diary. One must always have something sensational to read on the train." Hilarious. Also, I can't wait to try pumpkin chocolate chip bread! Great post!

    ReplyDelete

We love feedback! Leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...