Thursday, May 31, 2012

Pickled Zucchini

We're on the precipice of being up to our eyeballs in zucchini, y'all.  Why I thought it was a good idea to plant THREE zucchini plants for the TWO of us, I'll never know.  Math was never my strong suit.  Obviously, if Josh and I ingested all that zucchini, we'd be in danger of turning into zucchinis ourselves, so I decided to pickle some.

Note to self {and others}:  steamy vinegar is gross and will make your eyes water.  Open a window.

Before I began my pickling process, I sterilized my lids, bands, and jars.  This is really important.  I'm not sure what could happen if you didn't sterilize all your stuff, but let's just all agree that you'll end up looking like this if you don't:

Tanning Mom still frightens the dickens out of me.
 In a large stockpot, I combined the following:
  • 1 quart of distilled white vinegar
  • 2 cups of white sugar
  • 1/2 a cup of pickling or canning salt
  • 2 teaspoons of celery seed
  • 2 teaspoons of ground turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon of ground mustard
  • 3 bunches of fresh dill
Allow that to come to a boil white you chop up two to four large zucchinis.  Slice, dice, Julienne...whatever floats your boat.  Once your vinegar mixture has come to a boil {and you'll know, because tears will be streaming down your face}, pour over your zucchini.  I poured mine into a Corningware dish and inverted the glass lid so that all of my zucchini was submerged in the pickling solution.  Let this sit for an hour.

 After your hour is up, dump the zucchini and pickling solution back into the stockpot and bring to a boil.  Let this mixture simmer for approximately 5 minutes {and crack a window}.  Then, you're ready to ladle the zucchini into your jars.  Make certain that the zucchini is covered by the vinegar mixture.  Place your lid and band on immediately and submerge in a boiling water bath for five minutes. 


Be certain that you label the lid with a permanent marker.  I usually put the type of pickle and the year it was canned.

Notes:
  • A good way to gauge the number of quart jars you'll need is to look at the number of zucchini you are pickling.  I used two large zucchinis and, subsequently, I needed to quart jars.  
  • This recipe is easily doubled.
  • If the seal "doesn't take" after the boiling water bath, you can attempt to reseal the jar or you can just put that jar of pickles in the fridge.  
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love feedback! Leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...