Saturday, March 31, 2012

Homemade Spaghetti & Meatballs

Last night I took a cue from Peter Clemenza and made my own spaghetti and meatballs.  Let me tell you, it was delicious.  I married a boy who hails from North Carolina, so I made my marinara sauce a little sweet.  If you don't care for sweet marinara, just skip the brown sugar step.

And as a side note, I love food blogging with my husband.  It's so nice to spend time together in the kitchen.  It's where we have some of our best conversations and we also learn new things about each other {yes, still!}.  It's also a great time to practice movie quotes.  Last night in the midst of cooking, I shouted, "Soylent Green is PEOPLE!"  Josh didn't even bat an eye.  I adore that man.  Ladies, when you find someone who loves your quirks, MARRY HIM.  Anyways, back to the spaghetti.

I forgot several things in the "cast" of characters.  Mea culpa.  You'll need:  two carrots, two stalks of celery, two eggs, fresh basil, breadcrumbs {seasoned}, one pound of ground pork, one pound of ground beef, Parmesan cheese, and two cans of crushed tomatoes.  Grab the actual recipe at the bottom.
First, combine the pork and beef into a mixing bowl.
 Then, crack in the two eggs and add 3/4 of a cup of those seasoned breadcrumbs. 
Go ahead and add 3/4 of a cup of Parmesan cheese too. 
 As an afterthought, I added in some Italian seasoning.  You could also add something fresh {think parsley} but I didn't plant parsley this year. 
 "You lika the pepper?"  Yes?  Just add in some freshly ground black pepper.  Unless you want to experience a coronary embolism, do NOT add any salt.  You've already got a ton of salty cheese in your mix.
Now dice up half of an onion. 

And toss it in with a splash of milk.  I didn't measure, but if I had to guess, I used 1/3 of a cup.
Mix, mix, mix.

Roll those puppies out and line 'em up like little soldiers.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. 
Now onto the sauce.  Turn your eye onto medium high heat and add some butter and oil.  Remember:  butter for color, oil for heat!
Begin dicing up those two carrots.





And let those kids take a swim in the butter pool.
Then pull the same move with your celery.


Dice up the other half of that onion you just used.
And this is where my husband stopped taking pictures of spaghetti and started taking pictures of the boys.  I can't help but include them...too adorbs!


He's been doing this weird thing where he sits back on his haunches and begs like a dog.  Who can resist it?
Ahem.  Now back to cooking.  Add in that onion. 
Oh, wait...what?  We're back to the cats again?

If I could just draw your attention to the garlic that I'm peeling...you'll need 5 to 6 large cloves.
Okay then...never mind.  I'll just keep peeling my garlic while you enjoy my cats.



The hubs and I don't mind the bite of heat you get from a larger piece of garlic.  I roughly chopped mine.  If you've got small children or your making this to impress a lady, dice it up a little finer.
Let it sizzle for approximately ten minutes.

I believe this is what we call the "money shot."

Add in some salt and crushed red pepper flakes.  You know yourself better than I do, so if you don't like a bit of heat, skip the flakes. 
 Pour in the crushed tomatoes.
 Add in five tablespoons of brown sugar.

 Let the sauce simmer while the meatballs finish baking.  When your timer goes off, add them to the sauce.  And don't forget to cook your noodles!
 For a bit of flair, chiffonade your basil leaves.  Simply stack your basil, largest to smallest. 
 Roll it up like it's a basil cigarette.  Then run your knife through it. 
 Your left with pretty ribbons of fresh basil and a gigantic pot of spaghetti and meatballs. 

So let's recap:  spaghetti & meatballs.

For the meatballs:
  • 1 pound of ground beef {I used 90/10}
  • 1 pound of ground pork
  • 3/4 cup of seasoned breadcrumbs
  • 3/4 cup of Parmesan cheese {and use the cheap stuff...it's just filler}
  • Two eggs
  • 1/2 of a diced onion
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • About a palm's worth of Italian seasoning {or fresh herb of your choice}
Mix the ingredients well, roll into little balls, and bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.

For the sauce:
  •  2 cans of crushed tomatoes
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 2 stalks of celery, diced
  • 1/2 of a diced onion
  • 5-6 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped or diced
  • Salt {to taste}
  • Crushed red pepper flakes {knock yourself out or eliminate altogether} 
  • 5 tablespoons of brown sugar
  • 4-5 fresh basil leaves
Throw all of the diced vegetation into a hot pan with oil and butter.  Then, season with the salt and crushed red pepper flakes, pour in the crushed tomatoes, and add the brown sugar and basil. 

After supper, we needed some fresh air.  The cows are currently grazing in the pastures directly behind our house, so we paid them a visit.  The cows were not amused. 






Happy Saturday, y'all!

1 comment:

  1. How fun! I enjoyed the blog... Love you both! Mary

    ReplyDelete

We love feedback! Leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...