Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Happy Fat Tuesday, Y'all!

Y'all I'm on winter holiday for a whole dang week!  How exciting is that??  I'm living the stay-at-home-wife dream right now and loving it.  I've baked homemade chocolate cupcakes with homemade chocolate butter cream, we actually ate dinner in the dining room with candles, and I've been able to do yoga every single morning with a cup of green tea {no sugar added}.  I've also made a Target run with Jordan and I ordered a taco salad for the sole purpose of eating that deliciously crunchy shell. 

Things may get even crazier here at Casa de Callicutt when I paint my nails this color:
Mint Candy Apple.  I die.
Later today I'm transforming my mousy brown hair to this:
I've been doing the mousy brown look since my freshman year of college, so this change is a little scary and a lot exciting. 


Y'all tomorrow is the start of the Lenten season.  The Christian church no longer imposes strict fasting, but it is a good time to choose to fast.  It's 40 days {to represent the 40 days and nights that Jesus spent fasting in the wilderness} beginning on Ash Wednesday and ending on Easter Sunday.  I suppose it's an easy time to choose to fast because you know when it begins and when it ends.  In the past, I've given up distractions in my life for the Lenten season.  This year I'm giving up meat.

And no, meat is not a distraction from my relationship to Jesus.  I don't worship bacon and I don't obsess about filet Mignon {cooked medium rare, natch}.  I've just always wanted to give the whole vegetarian diet a whirl.  I'm not making light of the Lenten season.  I'm just using the time of observation to deprive myself of something I enjoy in order to explore a plant-based diet. 

No worries, I'll still be cooking meat for the Mister.  He'd rather die than give up his carnivorous ways.  And I'll still be getting protein through shakes, tofu, and grains.  I'm also going to continue ingesting dairy products, because sister can't live without her cheese.  If I get desperate, I'll allow myself fish once a week. 

I'm excited to begin exploring a plant-based diet.  It's going to be a great opportunity to eat boat loads of fruits, veggies, and grains. 


It's time for a check-in with our New Year Resolutions.  Yikes, I've done poorly--really poorly.  Thankfully, February is a short month, so I hopefully haven't done too much damage.  
  • Live as naturally as possible.  Although we continued to purchase all-natural groceries this month, February is the month of Reese's Hearts.  I consumed FOUR packs of those delightful little peanut butter treats this month.  We also ate out more than we should have which is neither economical nor all-natural.  March is going to be a better month.
  • Grow spiritually.  Y'all, Mere Christianity was just not doing it for me.  Isn't that awful?  I adore Clive Staples Lewis, but this particular book was almost too intellectual for me.  I felt like I had to break down every sentence I read to really understand what it meant.  I'm now reading John Elderedge's Epic and it's a little more on my current level.  
  •  Trim and tone my body.  This is the resolution that was my most epic fail this month.  To be completely fair, I had a nasty case of bronchitis one week and I'm supposed to lay off the yoga during that lovely little time of the month.  I've also been pulling a lot of late afternoons at work too.  Regardless, my excuses are mostly empty {and so is my graph}.  I'm still forever away from earning those boots.
  • Learn to sew {and craft more}.  My great-aunt just gave my mom her pleater {to make smocked dresses}, an embroidery machine {holler!}, and a ton of dress patterns.  Once Mom finishes her final doctoral class {she's real smart, y'all}, she'll have time to teach me all sorts of things.  I'm excited.
And now for Josh's goals:
  • Lose weight.  Lots of weight.  Not gonna lie, men, I've really sucked this one up this month.  I'd blame those Reese's Hearts that Court mentioned above, but she gobbled most of them up and growled when I tried to snag one.  We just ate out a lot this month and I basically quit working out.  Next week, I'm getting back on the P90X train because it's the only fitness program that has worked for me in the past.  Plus, it's a drag to get off work and then work out at work.
  • Begin the planning stages of building a house.  Saving money isn't fun, but somebody has to do it.  Right now, the current planning stage...is the money saving stage.  
  • Grow spiritually.  Thanks to J. Lee Grady's 10 Lies Men Believe and The Art of Manliness Manvotionals, I feel like I'm really making some headway here.  It's peaceful.  I like it.
  • Get Achilles neutered.  March 22nd is D-Day for my little man and to be honest, it can't come soon enough.  Brother is spraying everywhere.
  • Be outdoors more.  Court and I have been looking into several camping options, possibly for part of her spring break.  I can't wait.
So February was a bust.  March is going to be better.

Phone dump time:

I know it seems like I only take picture of food, but it's only because I only take pictures of food.



Click here for the recipe.


2 comments:

  1. yay court! leave the meat behind! :) enjoy fruit, veggies and grains. it really is amazing what foods are left untried when one is on a meat-inclusive diet. i've become a far more adventurous eater since i quit the animals more than a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney, our church did the meat fast last year for Lent. It was my first time observing Lent and it was so meaningful! I realize there are many different traditions and methods, but we chose to break the fast every Sunday. You wouldn't believe how great our church services were. There was such a celebratory spirit! It was a lot like a mini-Easter every week. Just a suggestion...

    ReplyDelete

We love feedback! Leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...