Saturday, February 4, 2012

Frittatas: The Redheaded Stepbrother of Omlets

Sadly, this is not a picture recipe.  I find that picture tutorials are the best because it makes it really hard to screw up.  Anyways...this morning I made a frittata. 

Oh my stars, have you ever seen any breakfast food this tasty?  I don't even LIKE eggs and I loved this.

To clarify:  I only eat boiled or deviled eggs.  If you offer me scrambled eggs,  I will politely decline and possibly vomit.

Anyways, here's a list of why frittatas are awesome:

1.  You use lots of butter.
2.  You only use one pan.
3.  You can use up any wilting vegetation that happens to be dying in your refrigerator.
4.  I don't have another reason.

This morning I gathered together some leftover bell peppers, half a small onion, spinach, Kalamata olives, feta cheese, eggs, and marinated artichoke hearts.

Step One:  Put butter in a 10" or 12" skillet.  Remember that butter burns easily!  Medium low is where you want the heat to be.  And don't skimp on the butter or Paula Deen will haunt your dreams.
Welcome to my nightmare.
Step Two:  Chop and drop your onion.  I diced my finely, but you can cut yours any which way you want.  Frittatas=freedom.  To cook your onions through, keep the heat on medium low.  To caramelize your onions, take the heat way down.  Caramelizing onions takes a while, but it's worth it!  This is also an excellent time to preheat your broiler.  I set mine to 450.

Step Three:  After cooking/caramelizing your onions, add in any other uncooked vegetation.  In my case, I chopped up my peppers and did a quick chiffonade on my spinach.

Step Four:  After your vegetation has cooked through, add in the other stuff.  In my case, I threw in a handful of Kalamata olives and some marinated artichoke hearts.  I left the olives whole {the Mister won't eat them} but I did give my artichoke hearts a rough chop.

Step Five:  While all those flavors are marrying in your pan, crack 8 to 10 eggs into a bowl.  Add a few splashes of milk, some salt, and pepper and whisk well.  Crank the heat to medium high.

Step Six:  Dump your eggy-milk mixture into your pan and don't touch it.  Instead, dump in cheese.  I used feta.  When the edges begin to look slightly done, use a non-stick spatula and scrape the sides.  Wait another two minutes and then pop under the broiler for 2 to 4 minutes.  When it stops looking gooey and starts looking brown and delicious, you're done!

To recap:  Get all of your old, wilting vegetables.  Toss in pan with butter.  Dump in eggs and milk.  Cook.  Enjoy.

It's elegant and simple without being fussy.  I paired mine with grits that I cooked with Greek seasoning and my leftover feta.




No comments:

Post a Comment

We love feedback! Leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...