Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Once upon a time...

Once upon a time, I was an 18-year-old girl.  It seems so far away now, though I'm not yet 24.  Something about paying bills, working a full-time job, and being married makes the innocence of being a freshman in college seem so very far away.  In all honesty, the only thing I miss about college is the frequent napping and my small group.  Sometimes I also kind of miss the drive I had--that I'm-going-to-change-the-world-because-I-can drive.

Don't get me wrong...I still feel like a world changer.  Fighting for the advocacy of children and adults with special needs is just as important as fighting for any other worthy cause.  It's just extremely different from the causes I worked for in college.

Once upon a time, I was an 18-year-old girl living in a cardboard box.  Yes, I only spent a night in that cardboard box, but it rained.  Yuck.

Once upon a time, I was an 18-year-old girl who split a sleeve of saltines and a 1-liter bottle of water with a guy I met on a bus.  That was all we had to eat for 24-hours, so we made it last.

Once upon a time, I was an 18-year-old girl participating in an event called Displace Me.  People from around the state of Georgia gathered in Woodstock to dwell in cardboard villages and eat rations of crackers and water.  Why?

For children like this:

And this:

And for families that were forced to live like this:

I became displaced for an organization called Invisible Children.


Invisible Children is a non-profit organization that is fighting the LRA {Lord's Resistance Army} both stateside and in Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Click here for a little background on the LRA.

To put it bluntly, the LRA has displaced over 2 million people.  That's 2 million people without a home.  That's 2 million people without adequate access to food or water.  That's also thousands of children who are not receiving an education {that hurts so very badly on a personal level}.  It is estimated that the bulk of the forces fighting for the LRA are children.  Since the LRA began fighting in 1987, it is estimated that they've forced over 10,000 children to fight for them. 

2012 is the year to end this war.

I adore my cousin Elisabeth.  I could talk about her more if I loved her less {Emma drop-in...I'm obsessed}:

I also adore her suite mate, Maddie.  We've only met a few times, but I know that Maddie is a girl out to change the world:
Maddie has given up her entire semester to serve as a roadie for Invisible Children.  You can read about her adventures here.

Maddie and the other roadies, volunteers, and workers at Invisible Children need your help.  If you're partial to prayer, that's an excellent way to be of aid.  Here are a few other ideas:

  • Join up with these musicians to raise money and awareness.  
  • Organize a book drive {Anchor Girls, head's up about this one!}
  • Go to a screening
  • Bring the war home and host a Frontline party
This is the 21st century, people.  The time for violent genocide and mass displacement is OVER.  I really try hard not to get political or preachy on our blog, but this is something that I feel very strongly about.  2012 is the year that this war ends.  Period.

If you live nearby and would like to borrow a copy of this documentary, let me know!  I'll be happy to lend it out {as long as I get it back}.

While we can't all put our lives on hold to change the world, we're all capable of doing something.  Even the tiniest drop of water can cause a ripple in a pond.







No comments:

Post a Comment

We love feedback! Leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...