Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year...New Goals!


I hate the idea of resolutions.  I've only kept one resolution in my entire life {writing in cursive} and that was only last year.  And it barely counts because writing in cursive is fun.

I prefer to make goals instead of resolutions.  Why not set short-term goals that will ultimately result in long-term changes?  The smaller the goal, the easier it is to attain.  Setting small goals that feed into larger goals seems like the most likely way to make long-term changes {at least in our life together}.  So...here they are...our 2012 goals:

Courtney:

  • Trim and tone my body.  Before I met Josh, I was underweight {so much so that my health insurance provider had to "fudge" the numbers on my BMI}.  Six months into our relationship, I gained ten pounds.  I think of them as little chunks of happiness, but there's no reason that my happy little rolls can't become sassy little muscles.  Josh and I are beginning a very intense, protein-based diet {more on that below} tomorrow and we're both expecting stellar results.  Watch out, Lake Burton...these buns of {future} steel are coming for you!
Word.
  • Live as naturally as possible.  I can totally see my father rolling his eyes as he reads this, but I don't even care.  My family {and friends and co-workers} can make fun of me as much as they want, but I'm going to be that girl that makes laundry detergent and recycles {even though recycling out in the country is kind of a pain}.  Here's why:  if you don't respect the creation, you don't respect the Creator.  If I fill my body full of crap, I'm not living that whole my body is a temple lifestyle {aren't you proud, Grandma?}.  Eating natural foods, using all-natural cleaners, and steering clear of chemicals, additives, and preservatives is an excellent way to send a little thank-you to the Big Guy Upstairs.
    • As a part of this goal, I really want to spend my summer holiday growing things...veggies, fruits, and herbs.  More on this later.  
    • I also really want a clothesline.  It's green, it's cheap, and falling asleep on sheets that have been line dried is wonderful.
Homemade laundry detergent.  Let's do this!
  • Grow spiritually.  I read all the time.  Literally.  If you call or text me and I don't respond, it's because you're disturbing my quality time with a good book.  But I rarely read books designed to strengthen my spirituality.  This year I want to set a monthly goal of reading one religious {I hate that word} text a month.  This month?  Mere Christianity.  I cannot wait to start.
Love Clive Staples!
  • Learn to sew {and craft more}.  Josh and I recently agreed that I pretty much wasted my summer holiday last year.  I get three whole months to myself and I totally didn't take advantage of that last year.  This summer, I'm going to craft and sew to my heart's content.  As much as I love teaching, I'm looking forward to being a {part-time} stay-at-home wife.
All a girl really needs is an old textbook and some Modge Podge.

Joshua:
  • Lose weight.  Lots of weight.  I want and need to lose weight because I'm the heaviest I've ever been in my life.  When I was in high school and college, staying skinny was about looking good.  Now it's more about being the protector in my family (aka, my wife and cats).  If push comes to shove, I'm the first line of defense in case of emergency and I need to be strong.  I also bought a pair of jeans that I'd really like to fit into.  So I'm on a really strict protein diet and I'm working out like a fiend.  Burglars and those jeans, beware.  
Marky Mark knows how to keep it real.
  • Begin the planning stages of building a house.  Don't get me wrong, I love our rental house.  It's big and sturdy and safe, but it isn't ours.  We want a house out in the country where we can grow things and create and walk around in our underwear without worrying about people on the highway seeing us.  And having one bathroom kind of sucks when you've got IBS and a wife with a tiny bladder.  This year is all about saving and planning.  2012, bring it on.
If you don't get it, queue up How I Met Your Mother.  Now.
  • Grow spiritually.  I want to figure out how to balance being a man and being a Christian.  David did it.  Paul did it.  Jesus did it.  I feel like the world's idea of being a man conflicts with many of the ideals of Christianity.  I think it's about finding the right balance and I'm more than ready to do so.
Real men play harps.
  • Get Achilles neutered.  If you've ever had a male cat who has gotten snipped, you know why this is of the utmost importance.
Those are crazy eyes.  
  • Be outdoors more.  I want to hike more, camp more, and just be more outdoors.  

So those are our goals for 2012 in a nutshell.  Putting them out there for the world to see is a great form of insurance.  It's not like writing a list and tossing it in the wastepaper basket.  So here we go, 2012.  It's going to be legen...wait for it...dary.  End of How I Met Your Mother drop ins.  

1 comment:

  1. I am for the .01 per load detergent.

    I am recycling now. Look at the box of AL cans on the car port. Frank Ginn got me started recycling.

    We will get you a box garden started son. I will help Josh with the cloths line.

    David (Right Wing Conservative, Eye Roller, Gun Toting, Newt Voting) Phillips

    ReplyDelete

We love feedback! Leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...