Thursday, January 26, 2012

All the Answers

If you've ever met me in person, you'll learn one very important thing:  I am FULL of random facts.

Picture this...today I was in the teacher's lounge and a coworker said, "Oh, hey Courtney.  Do you know what gerrymandering is?"

Of course I did.  And I explained it.

The point is, people ask me random questions all the time because I'm full of random answers.  I'm sure it can get kind of obnoxious, but I hope it's pretty useful as well.  My middle name should totally be Brittanica.

So, anyways...on Wednesday, a student asked me a question that I definitely didn't have an answer for.  The conversation went a little something like this:

"Mrs. C?"

"Hmmm?" {I was entering grades...my paras were loading the buses}

"How come God made me this way?"

"What way, sweetie?"  {She was twirling her hair, so I assumed she meant brunette}

"I mean, how come God made it so that I'm in your class?"

It took every ounce of willpower that I could muster not to lay my head on my desk and sob.  My sweet, precious student asked me the same question that I've asked God at least 100 times in the past school year. 

I muttered something unintelligible and then I was literally saved by the bell. She left and I fell to pieces. 

When Josh got home from work on Wednesday, he held me while I cried.  Unfortunately, he didn't have any answers either.  I've been told by many people that the burden of my job is a difficult one.  Only a very small percentage of the population in a public school system can provide any sort of empathy when I have a bad day, and Special Education teachers are as different and varied as the colors of the rainbow.  I'm lucky to have a husband who readily volunteers in my classroom whenever he gets the chance, so he can be somewhat empathetic when I have a particularly challenging day.

This morning on my drive to work, I lost my temper when I got behind a super slow car.  If you know me at all, you know that {along with spouting random facts}, I have a terrible, horrible, no-good, very-bad temper.  There are days when my temper is on a literal hair-trigger and I've been told more than once that I should have been born a redhead.

As my temper and my bad attitude got the better of me, God used that moment to speak a little bit of truth into my life.

Isn't your bad temper such a terrible disability?

It took me several moments to wrap my mind around the concept.  I even argued back a little...disabilities are visible, God!  My temper is that other driver's fault!

And then the truth smacked me upside the head.

Everybody has a disability.

Some people are petty.  Some people are greedy.  Some people have poor functional skills.  Some people cannot manipulate their arms and legs well.  Some people cannot communicate.

Whether it's intellectual, spiritual, functional, or physical, EVERYBODY is disabled.

Some disabilities are very pronounced.  Some disabilities are well hidden.  But you want to know the good news?

When we get to heaven, nobody will be disabled.

The life we live on Earth is brief.  The trials we're handed in life are even briefer.  We have the opportunity to spend eternity in heaven with the Creator of the universe, and we get to spend that eternity completely and totally whole.

In heaven, people who formerly lived with physical disabilities will be walking, jumping, running, and leaping!

In heaven, people who formerly lived with intellectual disabilities will be thinking, talking, and praising!

In heaven, people who formerly lived with functional disabilities will function wholly and completely!

I am so very grateful that God chose such a unique way to answer my question.  I cannot wait to pray and meditate on this more and to broaden my view of disabilities.

To ALL of you who pray for me, my classroom, and my students...THANK YOU.  Your prayers are greatly appreciated.

To learn more about what I do in my classroom, click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love feedback! Leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...