Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Ticked Off Tuesday

Alright fellas, I have had enough.  Guest blogger Josh here to bring you a new segment that I just can't keep in anymore...Ticked Off Tuesdays.



For my first entry, today I am going to be talking about one of my more manly topics...FOOTBALL!

As I was doing my morning routine of breakfast, a hot cup of joe and SportsCenter, I found myself being completely disgusted by a feature story.  No, it wasn't a story about Jerry Sandusky, or that Assistant Coach in Syracuse, but on the hit that James Harrison made on Colt McCoy in this past Sunday's battle on the gridiron between the Cleveland Browns and the Pittsburgh Steelers.

OBSERVE:


Now, I will be the first to say that the NFL has gone completely too soft in comparison to the way that men played this game in the past, but this is just not right.

I have been involved in football almost since I could walk. I played the game from Pop Warner all the way up through high school and even intramural football in college.  I have been taught at every level  of my football experience how to properly tackle someone:

1. Take a good angle and go after the ball carrier.

2. As you approach the ball carrier, lower your body and keep your head up (so as not to injure yourself)

3. As you make contact with the ball carrier, drive your shoulder into the opposing player midsection and WRAP HIM UP WITH YOUR ARMS!!! (to make sure he does not escape the initial blow)


1, 2, 3, it's as simply as that. 

James Harrison of the Pittsburgh Steelers is a punk who has played too much Madden and used one too many hit-sticks:

I know this may not apply to many of you reading but I still feel this is something that needs to be addressed.  NFL players are playing the most physical sport in the national spotlight, and yes it does feel good to take someone out and just knock them completely off their feet, but that is just not how the game works now.

I don't agree with some of the new rule the NFL has put into place mainly the "Tom Brady Rule":

 (The rule states that a player may not hit a QB once the ball has been thrown below the knee, accidental or not. This injury caused Tom Brady to have to sit out an entire season a few years back)

If there is one thing I want to get across in this segment it is this: The NFL has gone soft, but helmet to helmet hits with intent to injure without using the proper tackling technique is completely unacceptable.

With James Harrison being suspended (due to the hit above and a history of hits like it ranging back 3+ years), perhaps it will give the NFL a chance to operate properly.   


As for next week, everyone better look out.  That's right, you guessed it, pending a Tim Tebow/Denver Broncos loss I will be one of the only people defending Tim/Broncos.

Don't hate on Tim, or I'll have a bone to pick with you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love feedback! Leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...