Saturday, December 10, 2011

Must be Santa Claus...

We are not parents.

Yet.

But it's Christmas and I can't help but wonder what it will be like when we do have kids.  Will we be parents who spend a lot of money?  A little?  Will we focus on handmade gifts or technology?

Will we tell our kids about Santa Claus?




Gracious alive, I'm struggling with this one.  Josh and I both grew up with Santa Claus and we're not too screwed up.  It didn't shake our faith or anything like that...

...but what if it had?

And oh my gosh, if we don't do Santa Claus our mothers just might kill us.
Kids, you'd better believe in me or your parents might be murdered by two very angry grandmothers!


But isn't it kind of lying?

I'm not saying that our parents lied to us!  As a child, I was always on the fence about Santa anyways.  I played along with the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy, but it was very obvious that they weren't real.

I mean...an anthropomorphic bunny?  Fairies?  I knew better.

Here is a list of reasons why I'm Pro-Santa:

  •  It would be really fun for me.  I know my mother still loves it and she has no children under the age of 19.
  • Josh would really love eating the cookies and milk that our kids will leave out.
  • If my kids believe in Santa, they won't be the ones making everybody else at church and school cry with declarations of, "Santa isn't real!"
Here is a list of reasons why I'm Anti-Santa:
  • In a kid's mind, can Jesus even have a shot of competing with Santa?  I mean, really?  
  • We won't be lying to our children.
  • We can focus on Jesus during the season of His birth.
  • The kiddos will know that we were the ones who put all that time and effort into their gifts.  I know this sounds a little selfish, but I'm not apologizing for that.  
  • Our kids won't have to hear from us {or anybody else} that Santa actually isn't real.  We won't ever have to worry about "the talk" because we never initiated the thought.  
There are totally a million ways to make Christmas really special without Santa.  Like celebrating Advent with some of these neat wreaths.  This was my favorite when I was a child:




Cute Advent calendars:




Josh would die.

How do y'all feel about this issue?







1 comment:

  1. Love that you guys are already thinking about this stuff! Here's why we aren't doing Santa with Cooper....

    http://cooperwheeler.wordpress.com/2011/12/05/the-santa-claus-debate/#entry

    ReplyDelete

We love feedback! Leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...