Monday, December 12, 2011

Manly Monday: Proverbs 31

Josh here for my new, weekly segment:  Manly Monday.  I've recently discovered a blog (www.artofmanliness.com) and have become obsessed with all things manly.  Join me each week for a look at what makes a man...a man.

How many of you dudes out there had a wife that watched The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show?  I know my wife did.  I opted for a shower while she drooled over expensive underwear (though I did tune into the Jay-Z bit, but there weren't any underwear-clad models during that part).  Newsflash:  they sell panties at Wal-Mart people. 

Then, after the "fashion" show was over there were those questions that no husband wants to hear:

"Do you think I could ever look like that?"

"Why isn't my stomach flat like that?"

"Do you think they are prettier than me?"

Let me tell you all something right now:  my wife is smoking hot.  She weighs 100 pounds soaking wet.  Everything is where it's supposed to be.  She looks good in heels and she looks good in sweatpants.  And I tell her so daily.  So when those little underwear models made her question herself, I took away the remote and did a little cleaning up on our DVR. 

Cut to a few days ago...my wife is showing me some kind of Mason Jar craft on Pinterest and something pink and striped catches my eye. 



I immediately became suspicious.  I KNOW what those stripes mean:  overpriced underwear and overly-floral smelling bath products.  Then, this conversation happened:

"What's that?"

"Oh, this college kid posted a video on Facebook after the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show about how he'd rather marry a Proverbs 31 woman than a Victoria's Secret model."

After that, I had to do some digging.
 
Hymn to a Good Wife
 10-31 A good woman is hard to find,
   and worth far more than diamonds.
Her husband trusts her without reserve,
   and never has reason to regret it.
Never spiteful, she treats him generously
   all her life long.
She shops around for the best yarns and cottons,
   and enjoys knitting and sewing.
She's like a trading ship that sails to faraway places
   and brings back exotic surprises.
She's up before dawn, preparing breakfast
   for her family and organizing her day.
She looks over a field and buys it,
   then, with money she's put aside, plants a garden.
First thing in the morning, she dresses for work,
   rolls up her sleeves, eager to get started.
She senses the worth of her work,
   is in no hurry to call it quits for the day.
She's skilled in the crafts of home and hearth,
   diligent in homemaking.
She's quick to assist anyone in need,
   reaches out to help the poor.
She doesn't worry about her family when it snows;
   their winter clothes are all mended and ready to wear.
She makes her own clothing,
   and dresses in colorful linens and silks.
Her husband is greatly respected
   when he deliberates with the city fathers.
She designs gowns and sells them,
   brings the sweaters she knits to the dress shops.
Her clothes are well-made and elegant,
   and she always faces tomorrow with a smile.
When she speaks she has something worthwhile to say,
   and she always says it kindly.
She keeps an eye on everyone in her household,
   and keeps them all busy and productive.
Her children respect and bless her;
   her husband joins in with words of praise:
"Many women have done wonderful things,
   but you've outclassed them all!"
Charm can mislead and beauty soon fades.
   The woman to be admired and praised
   is the woman who lives in the Fear-of-God.
Give her everything she deserves!
   Festoon her life with praises!

After reading and re-reading this scripture, I realized several things:

1.  While Court doesn't knit or sew, she crochets, paints, and crafts with the best of them.  And even though she leaves half-finished projects scattered throughout our house, she's constantly attempting to make our house a home through her crafts. 
2.  She takes really awesome care of me.  My single buddies who have tasted her cooking will agree.
3.  My wife has a really, really, really difficult and exhausting job (both physically and emotionally).  She deals with situations that most educators will never, ever face in their 30+ years on the job...and she's awesome at it.  How many first-year teachers do you know that were nominated for Teacher of the Year?
4.  She makes decisions carefully and thoughtfully, always seeking to honor God with her choices.
5.  Courtney was uniquely designed to be my wife.  

After all these warm and gooey feelings faded, I realized a few more things:

1.  Guys can be jerks.  
2.  Boys need to man up.
3.  Men need to treat their women with respect.  

Courtney and I talked about it and decided that this is a good rule of thumb:  treat your girlfriend/fiance/wife like you'd want a man to treat your daughter.

Think about all those times you've said (in seriousness or jest) that you'd personally decapitate any boy that thinks he's good enough to date your (future or current) daughter.  Would you want someone to break her heart?  Make her cry?  Tell her she's undeserving of praise?  Make her feel like crap?  Make her doubt herself?

If your answer is anything but a resounding HECK NO, you need to do some serious soul searching, brother.  So here's my challenge to you:

--Treat the women in your life like you should.  If your behavior would make you mad coming from a stranger (towards your woman), take a step back and reevaluate the situation.
--Man up.  No, I mean really man up.  How is that decision your contemplating going to affect you?  Your family?  Your wife or girlfriend?  
--Protect your lady.  And I don't mean just making her walk on the inside of the sidewalk (though that's a thoughtful action).  Protect her emotionally.  Looking back, I should have asked Court to tune into something besides that fashion show.  Is your gal in a toxic friendship?  Be a man and step in.  Is somebody or something making her second-guess or question herself?  Intervene on her behalf.  If she sleep walks, make sure she doesn't unlock the door to the basement and fall down the steps (the last time Courtney went for a stroll while sleeping, she pulled all the toilet paper off the roll...true story).  
--Pray for your wife/girlfriend.  It doesn't have to be some long, drawn out, eloquent prayer.  Pray for her safety, her health, and her faith. 
--Remember that she's trusted you with her most valuable possession:  her heart.  If you trusted someone with your XBOX 360, wouldn't it be upsetting if they wrecked it?  Exactly. 


So when given the choice between this:

 or this...
Told you she was smoking hot.



...I'd pick my God-fearing, freckled, Star Wars loving, green eyed, Proverbs 31 Woman.  She's a little more Zooey Deschanel than Miranda Kerr.  She eats peanut butter straight from the jar.  She can handle crazy stuff like blood and my IBS without batting an eyelash.  She can turn a Mason Jar into a lamp.  She is patient and fiesty and an advocate for children with special needs.  She's messy.  She's unorganized.  She's a little random.  She could beat that Jeopardy computer without batting an eyelash.

And she's all mine.




4 comments:

  1. mmm yup pretty much just cried while I read this. I don't really even know either of you (I knew Josh once upon a time in like 2nd grade) but I LOVE reading your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you both, and am so glad that I may have played a small part in the wonderful husband that you are. I pray that you keep pursuing that beautiful wife of yours all the days of your life, and she the same for you. I must say that being in love with your spouse is the most wonderful feeling on earth. And, I love the fact that after all these years with my sweet Mr. Billy, my breath still catches when he walks in the room. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Josh. I love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, and yep, so touching I shed some tears, too! I will print this off for my young "guns" as well. Blessings on you both!

    ReplyDelete

We love feedback! Leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...