Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Eco-Freak, Hippy Chic

So, a coworker called me a hippy last week.

It only hurt my feelings for like, .5 seconds.

Because you know what?  I kind of am a hippy.

I use these green cleaners that are free of harsh chemicals because I don't like the idea of my husband, kitties, or family members being around things that I can't pronounce:

I have a Pinterest board called .green with envy. because it makes me feel good to save money and care for the environment at the same time.

My class runs a green living blog.  Each week we post green tips that we send to teachers in our school.  We also run a recycling company and recycled over 4,000 pounds of paper last year.  I'm instilling some pretty important values in my students.

If I must use paper products, I reached for recycled ones because there's not a reason not to:

I buy organic milk, eggs, and meat {whenever I can find it in this itty-bitty town} because cows and chickens are pumped full of all sorts of crazy/scary chemicals.  Organic feels safer:

Almost every vegetable I eat was grown in a pesticide-free garden and preserved the old-fashioned way {in a Mason jar} by my sweet, sweet grandmother.  You can't complain about that!


I air dry dishes because hand drying is time consuming, unsanitary, and kind of wasteful.
Um, isn't this the coolest invention ever?  Seriously.

I avoid filling landfills with plastic bottles by using the following items {because last year over 1.5 million barrels of oil were needed to produce plastic water bottles}:
Have y'all seen the new Brita campaign?  It's pretty eye-opening.



If the things mentioned above make me a hippy, I'm guilty as charged.  But in my opinion, if you don't respect the creation, you aren't respecting the Creator.  

God gifted us with this big, beautiful Earth:  "God took the Man and set him down in the Garden of Eden to work the ground and keep it in order."--Genesis 2:15

What a wonderful gift!  As adults, we have a responsibility to take care of what we've been given.  When a child is given a gift, they play with it for a while before casting it aside.  If we treat the Earth in the same way, what does that say about us?  

What about y'all?  Any good green products out there I didn't mention?







1 comment:

  1. I'm taking Ecology this semester and it's made me somewhat hopeless as far as the ability of humans to prevent a global ecosystem collapse by making environmentally conscious decisions is concerned. Nobody is brave enough to say "if we don't stop producing greenhouse gases the oceans will be too acidic to support life in 300 years" or "if we want to have any chance of saving the planet we need to stop producing livestock for food."

    Did you know that the oceans are a sink for carbon dioxide in the atmosphere--so much is being produced that the pH of the ocean is dropping at a faster rate than any indicated in the geological record. Or did you know that livestock production produces more greenhouse gas emissions than all forms of transportation combined?

    Even more ominous is that we don't have the arable land needed to feed all 7 billion people on this planet--without genetic engineering literally billions of people would be starving today and by the end of the century (when the population is projected to reach 10 billion) even science won't be able to prevent chronic hunger, but a worldwide change to a vegan diet can. 85% of the arable land in the United States is used to grow food that feeds livestock and using that land to grow crops would feed nearly 10 times as many people as the livestock grown on it currently feeds.

    I didn't realize that this was going to be so long or depressing when I started writing. Anyway, I commend you for even thinking about the impact your life has on the environment--a lot of people life their lives without any regard for the personal or global consequences associated with their habits.

    ReplyDelete

We love feedback! Leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...