Monday, November 7, 2011

Movie Monday: To Kill a Mockingbird


I'm sure you've already read all about our weekend plans that shifted from a vacation to a staycation.  I'll be the first to admit that a weekend at home with my wife in a homemade fort was exactly what I needed. Plus, she made me snacks.

We watched a lot of movies from our fort, including a longtime favorite of mine--To Kill a Mockingbird.  My wife will maintain that the book is always better than the film (in any instance), but I think that this movie comes pretty close to living up to Harper Lee's vision.  Here are a few reasons why I love To Kill a Mockingbird:


1.  It teaches Southern values and virtues.  It also has lessons about the evils of racism and respecting those with special needs.

She is synonymous with the South.  Deal with it.

2.  Gregory Peck is amazing.


3.  Robert Duvall as Boo Radley is pure genius.  Did you guys know that this was his first movie role?


4.  Scout is an awesome role model for little girls.  In fact, fighting and cussing aside, I hope I have a daughter exactly like Scout.  If my wife has her way, we'll even name her Scout.


5.  There has never been a remake of this movie.  That really shows how great it is.

When we popped the DVD in, we both forgot how emotionally draining this film really is.  Watching Peck's Atticus Finch tell Mrs. Robinson that Tom has been killed is hard.  Listening to Scout greet Mr. Cunningham and his motley crew when they were really just planning on jumping Atticus is difficult.  Seeing/hearing Jem and Scout survive the attack from Mr. Ewell is terrifying.  But this film is so good, it's okay to feel all of those things.  

Court and I speak frequently on what we want to do when we eventually have kids.  I know all you parents are rolling your eyes, but bear with me.  One thing we love to talk about is what movies/television shows from our childhoods we want to pass along to our children.  This film tops the list.  

What about you?  Do you prefer the book or movie version of To Kill a Mockingbird?  




No comments:

Post a Comment

We love feedback! Leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...