Monday, October 24, 2011

Sweet and Salty Salmon

I would normally save a post like this for Wednesday, but I just can't resist.  Tonight we had sweet & salty salmon, roasted broccoli, and a sun dried tomato and mushroom salad.  Oh...and I made an apple pie.

Sounds like a lot of work, I know, but when it comes to the kitchen, I'm a cheater.  Let me show you my cheating ways.

First, let's marinate that salmon:



I combined 1/4 a cup of maple syrup, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, 1 clove of minced garlic, and freshly ground black pepper.  I also added a pinch of salt.  Next, I put my salmon skin side up into my baking dish.


Then, I covered my baking dish and stuck it in the fridge.  Now, let's focus on that salad.  First, I gave my sun dried tomatoes a rough chop and minced up a clove of garlic.




Then I wiped down and sliced up my mushrooms.  I don't like the woodiness of mushroom stems, so I took the time to remove them.


Before I took sliced my shrooms, I tossed the garlic, sun dried tomatoes, and 1 tbsp. of butter into a pan (on medium high).


Then, the mushrooms jumped into the pool:


Once the mushrooms joined the mix, I reduced the heat as low as I could get it.  This can hang out all day and the longer you cook it, the more garlicky flavor your mushrooms will soak up.

Now let's move onto that pie.  First, I peeled, cored, and sliced 5 ginger gold apples.  I tossed them with 1/2 a cup of white sugar and 2 tablespoons of pumpkin pie spice.  Then I chunked up 1/2 a stick of butter and tossed that in too.  The apples just needed a little time to get to know the sugar, so I left them alone.


While the fruit macerated, I buttered my pie plate and spread half of the pie crust into the pan.  And yes, I used pre-made pie crust.  If the good Lord intended for us to make homemade pie crust, he wouldn't have invented the refrigerated section at the grocery store.  For good measure, I dotted the crust with butter.


Then, I "spiraled" the macerated apples into my crust.  It was kind of a pain, but it was worth it.


Next, I placed my pie crust on top.  I vented the center of the pie and pressed my seams together with a fork.  I also basted the top of the crust with a tiny bit of milk and sprinkled white sugar on top.


Then, I preheated my oven to 350 degrees and turned my attention to the broccoli.  This was super simple.  I gave my broccoli a rough chop and tossed it with grapeseed oil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice.


Now, the key to this meal was timing.  My mushroom salad was hanging out on low heat on my range. Everything I needed to bake needed a temperature of 350 degrees.  So I "layered" my baking.

The apple pie needed 40 minutes of cook time.

The salmon needed 20 minutes of cook time.

The broccoli needed 10 minutes of cook time.

So I slid my pie in for 20 minutes.  When my timer went off, I put my salmon in and reset my timer for 10 minutes.  When that timer went off, I slid my broccoli into the oven for 10 minutes.  That way, everything got exactly what it needed.

This is what my finished product looked like:


The salmon was moist and flaky and had the tiniest "crisp" to it.  I tossed my broccoli in a few tablespoons of parmesan cheese before serving it which made it extra delicious.  All in all, this meal was simple and tasty.

And then there was this...


Ahhhh...


So, let's recap:

The salmon requires:  1/4 cup of maple syrup, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, 1 clove of minced garlic, and salt and pepper.  Let it hang out for approximately 30 minutes before baking for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

The salad requires:  1 cup of mushrooms (sliced), 1/2 cup of sun dried tomatoes (roughly chopped), 1 clove of garlic (minced), and 1 tablespoon of butter.  Let all ingredients hang out in the pan on low heat for approximately 30 to 45 minutes.

The broccoli requires:  1 pound of fresh broccoli (chopped), 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil, pinch of salt and pepper, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.  Roast for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.

The pie requires:  5 peeled, cored, and chopped ginger gold apples, 1/2 cup of sugar, 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice, approximately 1/2 stick of butter.  Let dry ingredients hang out with the apples for 20 minutes before tossing into your buttered pie crust.  Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

Enjoy, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love feedback! Leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...