Sunday, October 2, 2011

CommUNITY & VulnerABILITY

We love our church so much.  Shout out to LCC!  Our church family is exactly what we were looking for and the Lord is moving and working mightily.

Today at church, Pastor Chris spoke about the need for community among Christians.  How we should be so unified that we feel safe enough to be vulnerable with each other in our day-to-day struggles.  During a time of sharing today at church, one man opened up about his struggles and it moved us both to tears.

Something he said that really stuck with me today is this:  "People say that all you need is Jesus.  And that simply isn't true.  We need each other too.  We need to be unified in Christ."

Such a simple, yet powerful statement.

C.S. Lewis (FAVORITE!) had this to say about friendship:  "Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art...it has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival."

My brother-in-law {BIL} said that having this type of vulnerability is something akin to healing.  Isn't that a lovely thought?  Jesus wants us to be unified with each other so that we may provide healing to one another.

I shared a struggle that I've been dealing with for quite some time.  I love, love, love my job.  I love my students.  But I often think to myself, why have they been dealt the card of living with a disability? I suppose you could break it down into that classic question:  Why do bad things happen to good people?

So I shared my struggle with my church family.  And it was really, really difficult to be so exposed.  It was kind of like that dream where you show up on the first day of school butt naked.  But you know what?  They offered me support.  And hugs.  And words of encouragement.  One lady, a dear friend, gave me a tight hug and said, "I know what you're dealing with because I taught the same subject.  I don't have an answer for you, but God can carry this question--this hurt for you."

It felt so wonderful to have that burden--that question--carried by so many others.  I may never know why bad things happen to good people, but I now know that my church family and Jesus will carry that question with.  How wonderful is that??  Having community with other Christians brings about a unity that allows us to share our vulnerabilities.  And making ourselves vulnerable makes us able to deal with our struggles.

How can you be more unified with the body of Christ?  What are some steps that you can take to make others feel more comfortable in their vulnerability?  We are going to spend this week focusing on our struggles by being unified together in them.  Special thanks should go to Pastor Chris for the excellent message this morning.  We love you, your lovely bride, and your great sons so very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love feedback! Leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...