Wednesday, September 28, 2011

What We Ate Wednesday: Crock Pot Chicken Edition

My name is Court Callicutt and I am now willing to admit I have an addiction...to my Crock Pot. I mean, did you guys know that you can cook baked potatoes in a slow cooker? Seriously, it's totes legit. Just wrap up your potatoes in foil, pile into your Crock Pot, and cook on low for 8 hours. Done.

Anyways...I digress...today I roasted a chicken in my slow cooker. Let me walk you through the steps.

First, I made a secret blend of herbs and spices. Your chicken is gonna be all, "It's like the Scarborough Fair up in here!" Seriously though, I just mixed together parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme (and a little kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper).

Then, I pulled all of the chicken's unmentionables out and had Josh toss them.  Maybe around Thanksgiving, I can share a family-favorite anecdote about my first experience with a turkey neck.  Anyways, I didn't take pictures of this part because it's gross.  Rinse your chicken well and place into your Crock Pot.

You're probably noticing that my Crock Pot is wrapped in plastic.  That's because Josh and I use Reynold's Wrap Liners.  Now, you could probably lecture me on the dangers of BPAs and heating up plastic, but life is for living NOT washing dishes.

This is me, cramming an onion into my chicken's you-know-what.  After I pull the bird out, I'll chunk the onion.  It's just an aromatic.  No big deal.



Why not cram a stick of butter up the bird's behind?  Really...what have you got to lose?


And now, I'm using my bare hands to massage the Scarborough celebration up under the chicken's skin.  I also rubbed down the outside with grape seed oil and the same herbage.  


Then you just set your Crock Pot to "low" for eight hours and voila!  
The chicken literally fell off the bone while Josh was pulling it from the Crock Pot.  I paired it with some roasted balsamic vegetables.  
Super easy and super delicious.  Josh pulled all the meat from the bones and threw those back into the pot.  I'm going to toss a couple of carrots and some more onion in and cook it overnight and low.  Tomorrow I can strain out the bones (by punching a couple of holes in the bottom of the bag) and freeze the broth in Ziploc bags for later use.  Hooray!


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love feedback! Leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...