Monday, July 25, 2011

Disney Top 100: #89

As I've said before, I'm not particularly patriotic. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud to be an American. It just doesn't shiver me timbers like some (David Phillips). Maybe it's because I grew up surrounded by politicians. Maybe it's because, for some odd reason (David Phillips) I'm still surrounded by politicians. Honestly? There are two things...people...that make me proud to be from the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Mark Twain and Ben Franklin.

Random. But I'm a super random person. If you didn't know that by now, you're a pretty bad reader.

Why these two historical figures?
  • Mark Twain was born under Halley's Comet and died under Halley's Comet.
  • Ben Franklin wore a beaver skin hat.
  • Both were righteous dudes.
Do I need any other reasons? No. Because this is my blog.

So what does this have to do with Disney World? Number 89 on our Disney Top 100 Countdown, The American Adventure.

What makes this stage show so awesome? In a word, Audio-Animatronics. These bad boys (and girls) blow those silly Presidents out of the water! Also, this show features Rosie the Riveter. For those of you who don't know, Rosie the Riveter tells me each morning that I CAN do it while I'm making my morning coffee. And believe me, Josh absolutely adores having this reminder that his woman can roar staring down at him in our kitchen.

People, he knew from the beginning that he wasn't marrying a doormat.

Anyways...I digress.

This show, hosted by the American Pavilion at EPCOT's World Showcase isn't hard to miss. The venue is literally located in the center of the World Showcase. Just pop on into that colonial style building after chowing down on a turkey leg (natch) and listen in on The Voices of Liberty, an eight-member a cappella group that is fabulous. The rotunda in the building was designed specifically to acoustically accentuate their voices.

Show up a little early, not only for the singing, but for the mini-museum to the right of the entrance. I can't really tell you what's in there, but I'm a sucker for museum placards.

Also...this venue is gorgeous at Christmas/Hanuka. And word to the wise, don't engage in illegal dreidel games like my brothers...




Anyways...after the pre-show singing (and yes, at Christmas, they sing Christmas songs. Sadly, they do not sing any Hanuka songs), you'll be directed to the main theater. It's massive and there isn't a bad seat in the house.

I don't want to give away the show, but I will tell you that it walks you through pivotal periods in America's (short) history. If you think about it, America is such a young country, we're still in our dark ages. Favorite parts of the show? Susan B. Anthony (natch), Two Brothers, and the random picture of Joan Baez.

Still feeling a little reluctant about watching this show? It's air conditioned. There you go.

And in all honesty, even this Hard-Hearted Hannah gets a little misty-eyed during this excellent example of the great American spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love feedback! Leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...