Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Liberty Tree Tavern

Thanks to that wonderful boy of mine for treating us to an insider's look at Mission: SPACE. Hopefully I can trick him into writing more often.

Restaurant Name: Liberty Tree Tavern
Fare: American cuisine with a patriotic flair (no...Sarah Palin is not on the menu)
Prices: $$ (all you care to eat)

The Magic Kingdom is well-known for many things, but sit-down dining isn't one of them. If you want a burger or a turkey leg you're golden, but there isn't really anywhere to sit down and have a quiet meal. Typically, we choose to leave the MK for supper and monorail our happy selves over to somewhere a bit more upscale. And by upscale, I totally mean Chef Mickeys.

So you could have knocked me over with a feather when my mother informed me that we had ADRs (Advanced Dining Reservations) for the Liberty Tree Tavern in the Magic Kingdom. Our conversation went something like this:

Me: "Did you make our Chef Mickey's reservations yet?"

Cyndee: "I think we're going to try somewhere new. The Liberty Tree Tavern looks nice."

Me: Silent shock

Cyndee: "Look! It says on www.allears.net that they have a Declaration Salad. Doesn't that sound like fun?"

Me: "But...but...but what about Chef Mickey's?"

Cyndee: "Aw, come on Courtney. Live a little."

So when we ducked into the Liberty Tree Tavern to check in for our reservations, I wasn't super excited. Many of the items on the menu were things that I refuse to eat unless they were prepared by my Grandma's loving hands (i.e. green beans). They also advertised an item called stuffing--a suspicious Yankee dish. In the South we have dressing and it's made my Grandmothers everywhere. My Grandma, of course, makes the best dressing in the world. The menu also featured roasted turkey, carved beef, smoked pork loin, mashed potatoes, and mac-n-cheese.

The meal began with the aforementioned Declaration Salad. It was lots of iceberg lettuce with red onions and some kind of berry vinaigrette. It was okay. I'm not a huge fan of iceberg lettuce unless it's smothered in blue cheese, natch.

So, the really nice Haitian (cue my very best Cher Horowitz impression) server cleared our salad plates and began bringing out the main entree (the meat platter) and the side items (including the offensive green beans). And I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. The turkey was actual turkey. The carved beef was actually still pink in the center. The pork loin was actually just ham, but hey, I like ham! The mashed potatoes were creamy and the suspicious Yankee stuffing didn't poison me or cause me to start speaking like Barbara Streisand.

All in all, I consider this meal a success. We were seated in the Ben Franklin room so obviously Dad and Grayson were up examining good old Benji's artifacts scattered throughout the space. The service was really great and I had two helpings of the mac-n-cheese.

Word of warning...this restaurant comes at a price. For the six of us, it would have costed somewhere around $200 before tax and tip. Fortunately, we were on the Dining Plan (a must!), so the sting in our back pockets wasn't too severe.

Would I recommend the Liberty Tree Tavern? Yes. It's an all-you-care-to-eat meal that's well cooked and pretty tasty. Sure it's not the most exciting of options, but we all walked away with satisfied tummies.

Casey, Dad (still wearing his Mickey Sticker...gasp!), and Mom enjoying the Patriotic meal.
I forgot to mention the bread. It was tasty.
The cool side of the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love feedback! Leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...