Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Disney Top 100: #99

Today's topic is near and dear to my heart. As you may (or may not) know, I'm a piano teacher. There are few things that make me happier than sitting down at my piano bench and playing until my fingers ache. I started taking lessons at the age of five and stopped at the age of twenty-one. That's sixteen very long years, people! At twenty-one, I kind of hit that plateau where I knew I wasn't going to get any better. So I started teaching instead. Let's just say that I'm a way better teacher...

Enough about me. Let's talk about Jim, the ragtime pianist.

First of all, Jim disgusts me. Why? Because his repertoire borders on insanity. This man, who sits at a mirrored upright outside of Casey's Corner on Main Street, U.S.A. can literally play anything you ask him to. You name the song and he plays it.

That is freaking amazing.

Once I heard him perform a rousing rendition of "Maple Leaf Rag," a piece that I myself have performed in the past. That piece isn't a joke, readers. He'll also tell corny jokes in between songs. I'm personally a fan of corny jokes. I'm also a fan of Casey's Corner hotdogs, so paying a little visit to Jim the ragtime pianist is always worth my while.

Main Street, U.S.A. is like a sensory overload for me. There's that glorious, just baked cookie smell that the Imagineers are piping in. And then there are about a million balloons which kind of scare me (bad childhood experience). Plus, you're shoving through all of those parents and their endless strollers and tripping on the occasional leash kid. You've got all that going on and on top of that you're walking right down the middle of Main Street, U.S.A. only to spot this really awesome, plexiglass castle. You've got the music swelling, and the Dapper Dans are strolling around...it's just...

SENSORY OVERLOAD!

Now, I'm not really a crier. Movies, television shows, books...they don't make me cry. I didn't even cry at my wedding. The only person who has really seen me cry is Jordan Leah Procuro. That may make me seem hardhearted, but I swear I'm not. Because when I'm strolling down Main Street and all those sights and sounds and smells hit me, I cry like a baby.

Talk about embarrassing. I can't cry at my wedding but I can cry at Disney World. What's up with that?

So to overcome my sensory overload, I always slip over towards Casey's Corner on the off-chance that Jim is already there. And if he is, I'll listen for a few minutes. After overcoming my sensory overload, I'm ready to conquer the three mountains, free all the leash kids, and wait 80 minutes for my chance at Peter Pan. All because of Jim the ragtime pianist and his amazing repertoire.

**Side note: Join in my campaign. FREE THE LEASH KIDS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love feedback! Leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...