Friday, June 17, 2011

Disney Top 100: #93

Like I've mentioned before, when my family does vacation we're all about maximizing the educational value of our trip. Sure you can go somewhere, but what does it matter if you haven't learned anything? So obviously we always have to find those little nuggets of education while we're vacationing at Walt Disney World.

My favorite place in the Magic Kingdom to learn a little (while cooling off in the air conditioning) is #93 on our Disney Top 100 Countdown: The Hall of Presidents.

I know the last thing people want to do is listen to a bunch of politician animatronics blow smoke out of there robotic you-know-whats, but I grew up around politicians, so it doesn't really bother me that much. And thankfully there is like a nonpartisan rule so the animatronics aren't arguing about healthcare or whatever. Plus Morgan Freeman narrates the little video bit and his voice is so soothing and perfect for taking a midday catnap.

I know it's pretty lame that The Hall of Presidents even made our countdown but the second we decided to take on this Countdown Challenge Josh's first words were, "We've GOT to include The Hall of Presidents."

As cliche as it sounds, there's something about this show that makes me feel really patriotic. Don't get me wrong, I love living in America, but I'm typically not one to tear up during a rendition of "I'm Proud to be an American." I mean...I didn't even cry at my own wedding. But when you pair Morgan Freeman's narration with some really cool technology in the form of animatronics that look real, something really magical happens.

The show begins with a short video (with some really innovative screen shots) that talks about the history of the United States of America. All very standard stuff. Then the curtains pull back and the scrim rises to reveal all of the presidents. They are all introduced and then you hear from George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, and the current president of the time (obviously right now it's Barack Obama). It's a very interesting show and one of my Dad's favorites. Who am I to deny him a twenty-minute nap?

Plus, it's fun to gauge the crowd. You can always tell when the Republicans outnumber the Democrats because Ronald Reagan gets thunderous applause. Me? I clap for everybody because I ride that political fence like it's a pony.

So if you're hot and sweaty, looking for a nap without going back to your resort, or you actually want to learn something other than the lyrics to The Mickey Mouse Club Anthem, stop by The Hall of Presidents in Liberty Square. Chances are you'll actually enjoy it.

My dad with his hero. Win on for the Gipper!
Josh and Casey were so excited about nap time!



**Side note: Once this girl sitting near me literally napped SO HARD that she snored through almost the entire presentation. Bonus points if that happens to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love feedback! Leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...